5.11.2008

The Maiden Voyage

... of my glorious Kitchen Aid mixer.

I have looked forward to owning my own Kitchen Aid since I was a little girl. Kelsey and I used to mix batter in my mom's when she would let us help make cupcake and cookies and I have, in a very odd way, perhaps equated owning one with adulthood- I always looked forward to being a grown-up so I could have one. (Okay, there were other reasons I wanted to grow up, but the Kitchen Aid has always been on the list). I promise I am not alone in this either, in college I distinctly remember joking with the girls about wanting to get married so we could register for a Kitchen Aid and then we all discussed what color we wanted- oh so many choices, they have special spring colors! I have no idea why, but a Kitchen Aid is one of those things every woman wants, no man understands, but in many of our minds, having one on the counter is just domestic and culinary bliss.

So bless my mother's heart, she didn't even make me wait to register for my mixer after we got in engaged, I found it underneath the Christmas tree in December. It is a perfect butter yellow and is the BIG one- awww. It was an early wedding present so I promised not to use until we got married, plus Dana and I really have no where to put it so for the last 6 months it has been sitting in my closet staring at me, just begging to be used. When I go to throw something in the laundry bin, there's my Kitchen Aid. When I go to grab a belt, there's my mixer, when I put on my shoes, there's my mixer suffocating in the box. And. I. Can't. Take. It. Any. More.

So today I pulled out the box and whipped up a batch of perfectly whipped lemon cooler cookies, then cleaned every piece, stuck it back in the box and shoved it back in closet. And I feel so much better that I don't even care that I probably broke a serious bit of etiquette by using one our wedding presents 5 months before the wedding. Sorry Dear Abby, I couldn't help it.

No comments: