7.25.2008

The difference between men and women...

Last week, I spent like a half an hour in Fred Meyer picking out birthday cards for my mom and mom-in-law. Now that Case and I are (almost) a married couple, I figure we can now get away with those brithday cards "from both of us." Now, I don't believe in sappy birthday cards, no no they have to be funny, so after an exhaustive search through a lot of fluffy cards, I found a couple of acceptable cards as follows:

Card #1:
Little stick woman: "We hope your birthday is full of rainbows and ponies and sparkles!"
Little stick man: "I am not saying that."
Little stick woman: "Then what would you suggest?
Little stick man: "We hope your birthday is full of monster trucks, beer and babes on trampolines!"
Little stick woman: "That is so juvenile."
Inside card: "We'll just settle on happy birthday! What? It keeps the peace."


Card #2:
Picture of beaver on the front of the card that is both holding a flower and farting at the same time.
Inside card: She wanted to get you a sweet card, and I wanted to give you a funny one. So we settled on one that was both. Happy birthday."

The Moms loved their respective cards and they were quite funny, but I couldn't help but think they were a bit stereotypical of both men and women. I mean its a card so not's a big deal, but as a woman I enjoy a god fart joke sometimes and Case is not exactly the monster truck and beer type. When you watch sitcoms, it seems as these prototypical gender roles are larger than life: the wife yelling at the husband for watching tv, the husband always wanting sex but never getting any. And really, I doubt that these stereotypes have much truth to them. I mean, really.

Cut to this week and I am writing a thank you note to mom-in-law for the lovely duvet comforter and cover she gave us for my shower. Inside of that card:

Kate:
Dear Mike & Sharon,
Thank you so much for the duvet comforter and cover you gave us for the shower! It was so thoughtful of you and I so appreciate you coming all the way to Oregon for the shower. The comforter will look great in our bedroom and I can't wait to find matching throw pillows to go with it. We love you, thank you so much!

Casey:
Mom & Dad,
Way to buy us a present that will help ensure you have lots of grandkids. Thanks!


Oh.

No comments: